Now widely viewed as the world’s leading capital city, London is home to some of the most exciting and fashionable shops, restaurants and bars. And there are more opening all the time. Here are some of 2017’s best in everywhere from Notting Hill and Marylebone to Hyde Park to Regent’s Park.
Fancy Crab, Marylebone, London W1
The red king crab is the key ingredient at Fancy Crab, the new themed restaurant that opened at 92 Wigmore Street in August. Sourced from the northern part of the Atlantic Ocean, the wild crabs are caught in wire pots and cooked straight away in sea water. They are then frozen, to preserve the delicate flavour of the meat. Each crab is certified GMO and chemical dye free. Once ensconced at Fancy Crab, the red king crabs are prepared and served in a variety of special dishes. Impressive, if you love crab. A tad tricky if your date doesn’t.
• For sale, at £5,250,000 Share of Freehold, this beautiful four-bedroom apartment is in Marylebone’s finest mansion, a short walk from Fancy Crab on Wigmore Street http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/apartment-for-sale-in-george-street-marylebone-london-w1h/9244
Core by Clare Smyth, Notting Hill, London W11
Notting Hill is widely renowned for its first-rate restaurants. And now there’s another, perhaps its best yet. Core by Clare Smyth is a relaxed, 60-seater eatery at 92 Kensington Park Road, close to Portobello market. It offers modern fine dining with a strong British ethos. Smyth is the first female chef in Britain to hold three Michelin stars. These were awarded when she worked as chef patron at Restaurant Gordon Ramsay in Chelsea’s Royal Hospital Road. Opened in summer 2017, Core by Clare Smyth is the chef’s first solo venture. On this showing, don’t expect it to be her last.
• For sale, at £1,995,000 Freehold, this renovated three-bedroom mews house is a short walk from Core by Clare Smyth on Kensington Park Road http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/house-for-sale-in-wellington-close-london-w11/9904
Rob and Nick Carter, Hyde Park, London W2
September saw the launch of this exciting exhibition and studio space, RN at 5A Bathurst Street, by husband and wife artists Rob and Nick Carter. The couple have collaborated for 20 years, exploring mediums as diverse as painting, installation, neon, sculpture and camera-less photography. Their work is housed at institutions, including the Victoria & Albert Museum, London, and the Fondation Custodia, Paris. They are also the only living artists to show work at the Frick Museum, New York. Private collectors include Kevin Spacey, Sir Elton John, Sir Peter Blake, Jude Law, Stephen Fry, David and Victoria Beckham and Claudia Winkleman.
• For sale, at £5,500,000 Leasehold, this two-bedroom penthouse has an extensive roof terrace overlooking Hyde Park, and is a short walk from RN at 5A Bathurst Street http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/penthouse-for-sale-in-hyde-park-place-hyde-park-london-w2/1607
The Selfridge’s London Christmas Shop, Marylebone, London W1
This year, Selfridges on Oxford Street became the first department store in the world to open its Christmas Shop 147 days before Christmas. With an initial launch on August 4, featuring London-related gifts and a reduced range of seasonal food, customers had the chance to buy the Selfridges Selection Christmas pudding a full five months ahead of the big day. Other food items launched that week included the Selfridges’ Traditional Christmas cake, Festive Jewelled Fruit cake and Eggnog Curd. When the Selfridges London Christmas Shop opened fully on 4 September, it included more than 130,000 products.
• For sale, at £1,395,000 Share of Freehold, this three-bedroom ground and garden-floor maisonette is located in the heart of Marylebone, a short walk from Selfridges http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/maisonette-for-sale-in-bulstrode-street-marylebone-london-w1u/9944
Cupio Gallery at Alfies Antique Market, Regent’s Park, London NW1
Recently established by Matthew Moreton, the Cupio Gallery is born from a personal passion for Italian, mid-century artifacts, with the great talents of pre and post-war Italian architects and designers clearly a major influence. But although Cupio may target Italian pieces, the stock nonetheless includes a variety of chic collectables, sourced from a broad range of international contacts. The gallery is a perfect fit with Alfies Antique Market, London’s favourite vintage emporium, which has attracted discerning dealers, keen collectors and celebrity shoppers for the past 40 years. The rooftop café remains one of the capital’s hidden gems, too.
• For sale, at £699,950 Leasehold, this newly refurbished two-bedroom flat has a private garden, and is just around the corner from the Cupio Gallery at Alfies http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/apartment-for-sale-in-lisson-grove-marylebone-london-nw1/9977
Kindare, Hyde Park, London W2
Kindare represents one of the most exciting launches in London this autumn. A unique luxury fashion brand, Kindare offers customised clothing for men and women. The brainchild of Kinder Aggugini, Kindare’s first store is set to open at 30 Connaught Street by the time you read this round-up. Aggugini studied at Central Saint Martins in the Eighties before becoming a tailor in Savile Row. Later, he worked for labels such as John Galliano, Vivienne Westwood, Paul Smith, Calvin Klein and Versace. Aggugini has a celebrity following, with Christina Ricci, HRH Princess Beatrice and Kate Hudson already wearing his clothes. Now you can, too.
• For sale, at £6,950,000 Freehold, this five-bedroom Georgian town house is on one of London’s most prestigious garden squares, just around the corner from Kindare http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/house-for-sale-in-connaught-square-hyde-park-london-w2/1776
The Distillery, Notting Hill, London W11
With gin more popular now than anyone can remember, a dedicated gin palace was bound to happen somewhere. And it finally happened here, with the launch of The Distillery at 186 Portobello Road. This four-floor hub for the discerning gin drinker is the first of its kind, not just in London but across the UK. As the name suggests, this is a working distillery and the new home of the world-famous Portobello Road Gin. It is also home to the acclaimed gin-blending experience, The Ginstitute, plus two bars, a private dining room, and three ‘guest lodgings’ or crash pads.
• For rent, at £999 per week, this contemporary, two-bedroom apartment has air-conditioning and a private patio, and is staggering distance from The Distillery http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-westbourne-gardens-bayswater-london-w2/8317
Meraki, Fitzrovia, London W1
Meraki is a word the Greeks use to describe what happens when you put your soul into your work. Not coincidentally, it is also the name of this new, contemporary Greek restaurant and bar at 80 Great Titchfield Street. If you enjoy dining out in Greece, you’ll love it here. There is more than a dash of the Greek spirit in it. Meraki offers the same kind of hospitality and atmosphere you might expect from the best restaurants you’ve visited on holiday.
• For sale, at £1,100,000 Leasehold, this 2nd-floor, two-bedroom apartment would make a perfect pied-à-terre, and is just a plate’s throw from Meraki http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/apartment-for-sale-in-gosfield-street-marylebone-london-w1w/6968
London Shell Co., Paddington, London W2
London Shell Co. is a floating restaurant on board the Prince Regent, a wide beam cruiser moored permanently at Sheldon Square, in the Paddington Basin. Run by Harry and Leah Lobek, the siblings first dipped their toes in the water with this project in 2016, when they opened a pop-up seafood supper club. Landing a load of local support, they have since pushed the boat out to run the business full-time. Stuart Kilpatrick has joined as head chef and the team is launching a new British Game menu, which they are now offering each Tuesday throughout the autumn season.
• For sale, at £875,000 Leasehold, this bright two-bedroom garden flat is directly opposite Regent’s Canal, just a short walk from London Shell Co.’s mooring http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/apartment-for-sale-in-maida-avenue-little-venice-london-w2/9876
Dickie’s Bar, Mayfair, London W1
Open since June 21, Dickie’s Bar is located within the iconic Corrigan’s Mayfair restaurant, at 28 Upper Grosvenor Street. With its own dedicated entrance, Dickie’s represents an exciting collaboration between Richard Corrigan (West End chef), Gregory Buda (brains behind New York’s award-winning Dead Rabbit bar) and Richard Ryan (founder of Drinksology). A stylish and sophisticated late-night establishment, the drinks list here is inspired by American and Irish drinking trends, as well as popular cocktail culture. Requisite seasonal ingredients are largely sourced from Corrigan’s own garden and farm, Virginia Park Lodge in Cavan, Ireland, which adopts an up-to-date approach to bio horticulture.
• For rent, at £725 per week, this modern and spacious one-bedroom apartment is located in a prestigious portered building, just a short stroll from Dickie’s Bar http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-grosvenor-square-mayfair-london-w1k/8623
• Contact Kay & Co estate agents for details of properties for sale or to rent in Marylebone, Bayswater, Paddington, Notting Hill, Mayfair, Hyde Park, Fitzrovia, Regents Park, Regent’s Park and The West End (020 7262 2030; Kay & Co).