After a hard day at work, you don’t want to walk too far for your supper. Which is one of the reasons why this is such a perfect place to live. Move to Marylebone and these top 10 restaurants will be right on your doorstep.
1. Dinings www.dinings.co.uk @diningslondon
A contemporary Japanese restaurant on Harcourt Street, Dinings offers an imaginative mix of Sushi and tapas-style dishes. Its simple surroundings belie its reputation as one of the most popular small restaurants in London. First established 10 years ago, the Dinings menu was originally based on traditional Izakaya cuisine. Since then, the restaurant has developed its own style of Izakaya. This combines traditional Japanese cuisine with tapas, which means it appeals more to European tastes, too. With a relaxed, friendly atmosphere and the highest possible standard of service, here is a restaurant that really does offer a unique dining experience.
• For sale, only up the road, this elegant four-bedroom apartment is in a small mansion block close to Baker Street underground http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/apartment-for-sale-in-york-street-marylebone-london-w1h/811
2. Fischer’s www.fischers.co.uk @FischersLondon
Evocative of Vienna in the early 20th century, Fischer’s is an informal, neighbourhood café and konditorei. And you won’t find many of those in London. Located towards the top of Marylebone High Street, Fischer’s opens early for breakfast and continues to serve classic Austrian fare throughout the day and into the evening. The menu includes cured gröstl, fish, schnitzels, brötchen, strudels, ice-cream coupes, hot chocolates, coffees and wines. Ideal for local residents, Fischer’s is the perfect place to linger on your own at any time of day, with a magazine, cake and coffee.
• To rent, just a short walk away, this stunning lower ground floor two-bedroom apartment is perfect for coffee-shop surfers and City workers http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-devonshire-place-marylebone-london-w1g/7860
3. Il Baretto www.ilbaretto.co.uk @IlBarettoLondon
Il Baretto means ‘little bar’ in Italian and, from the outside, you can see little else. Inside, however, you’ll find there’s also a buzzy, basement restaurant, along with a bona fide Italian menu. Based on Blandford Street, between Marylebone High Street and Baker Street, Il Baretto’s mahogany tables, banquette seating and glass-faced wine cellar cut a contemporary dash against an otherwise traditional, Italian dining experience. Standout dishes include the authentic Veal Milanese, Salt Baked Sea Bass, Lobster Linguine and Sea Bass Carpaccio. The traditionally prepared pizzas – cooked in an open, wood-burning oven – are about as good as you can get outside Italy.
• For sale, in the next street, this beautiful four-bedroom apartment is located in one of Marylebone’s finest mansion blocks http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/apartment-for-sale-in-george-street-marylebone-london-w1h/9244
4. Galvin Bistrot de Luxe www.galvinrestaurants.com @Galvin¬_brothers
Vibrant, relaxed and informal, the multi award-winning Galvin Bistrot de Luxe has been established on Baker Street since 2005. Typically, in the tradition of the ‘Bistrot Modernes’ of Paris, it combines banquette seating and Thonet-style bentwood chairs with intimately spaced, linen-covered tables. It is illuminated, of course, with globe lighting. In the heart of the restaurant, Le Salon Privé is separated by a glass partition to provide a bespoke, dining experience for up to 12 guests. Additionally, tucked away below the restaurant, Le Cellar is a private and intimate bar that may be hired exclusively for small parties or functions.
• For sale, on the same street, this two-bedroom apartment is close to Baker Street Station and moments from Regent’s Park http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/apartment-for-sale-in-baker-street-marylebone-london-nw1/9387
5. Donostia www.donostia.co.uk @DonostiaW1
Donostia is a contemporary space on Seymour Place, specialising in sharing plates with a Basque influence. So it’s ideal for close friends and couples, especially those who like tapas. Opposite an open kitchen there is a long marble-top bar laid out with individual settings. So it works well for solo dining, too. These bar seats are kept free for walk-ins after 7:30pm, which means locals can drop by on the off chance. Donostia’s menu provides similar flexibility, while its wine list offers some impressive options. We should flag up that Donostia also serves an especially swanky Gin & Tonic.
• To rent, just around the corner, this contemporary three-bedroom penthouse apartment is moments from Marble Arch underground http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-great-cumberland-place-marylebone-london-w1h/1590
6. Chiltern Firehouse www.chilternfirehouse.com #chilternfirehouse
One of the capital’s first purpose-built fire stations, Chiltern Firehouse was once celebrated for its Gothic grandeur. But since US hotelier André Balazs has had his hands on it, this Victorian superstructure on Chiltern Street has become better known for its exposed kitchen and celebrity clientele. Michelin-starred chef Nuno Mendez has caused something of a stir with his imaginative dishes, re-created classics, bold new flavours and unusual, yet irresistible combinations. There were Crab-Stuffed Donuts on the menu we visited, which were wonderful.
• For sale, just along the street, this stunning new duplex apartment has two suites and a private 1,000 sq ft garden http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/duplex-for-sale-in-chiltern-street-marylebone-london-w1u/9618
7. Orrery www.orrery-restaurant.co.uk @The_Orrery
With three AA Rosettes and Tatler’s prestigious Test of Time award under its boastful belt, this elegant dining room provides a perfect retreat from the hustle and bustle of Marylebone High Street.
• To rent, a short walk away, this recently refurbished two-bedroom house is in a quiet location close to Baker Street underground http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/house-to-rent-in-ossington-buildings-marylebone-london-w1u/9787
8. Locanda Locatelli www.locandalocatelli.com @LocLocatelli
An enticing slice of Italy on Seymour Street, Locanda Locatelli cleverly combines a sense of privacy with the relaxed atmosphere of family dining. Even more cunning, though, is the cooking. Considered by many to be the finest Italian chef working outside Italy, Giorgio Locatelli delivers traditional Italian dishes, with a creative twist. Try the Linguine with Cornish Lobster, Tomato, Garlic and Sweet Chilli, or the Roast Monkfish with Walnut and Caper Sauce and Samphire. The restaurant’s extensive wine list has won almost as many awards as its chef-patron, and there is an unusually good selection offered by the glass.
• For sale, just a short walk away, this dazzling new development offers one, two, and three-bed apartments, plus two penthouses http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/new-development-for-sale-in-seymour-place-marylebone-london-w1h/1387
9. Blandford Comptoir www.blandford-comptoir.co.uk @BlandfordCompt
A first solo venture for Master Sommelier and seasoned collaborator Xavier Rousset, this cosy, contemporary bistro on Blandford Street has become something of a community hub. It looks fairly French but tastes more like an Italian. And it is all about the food. With a menu featuring an engaging choice of charcuterie, raw, meat, vegetable, fish and shellfish, customers can order small or large plates – and in any order. It’s an appealing concept. As, indeed, is the list of 250 wines, 40 Champagnes and tempting selection of home brewed cocktails. You know what they say, once a Master Sommelier…
• For sale, a short stroll away, this spacious one-bedroom apartment is close to Marylebone High Street and Baker Street underground http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/apartment-for-sale-in-chiltern-street-marylebone-london-w1u/1825
10. Royal China Baker Street www.theroyalchina.co.uk @RoyalChinaGroup
Serving traditional Dim Sum and Hong Kong Chinese dishes in a contemporary, Oriental-style dining room, this is the flagship branch of the award-winning Royal China empire. Thanks to its adaptable space, the restaurant is capable of hosting small gatherings or huge banquets. And the food is always fabulous. As ever, the secret lies in the preparation. The Dim Sum is prepared daily and, to maintain full freshness, the delicate parcels are steamed, or fried, only after you have placed your order. This may explain why Royal China Baker Street is often said to be the best Chinese restaurant in London.
• To rent, just along Baker Street, this two-bedroom apartment is set within a boutique development moments from Baker Street underground http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-baker-street-marylebone-london-w1u/1431
• Contact Kay & Co estate agents for details of properties for sale or to rent in Marylebone, Bayswater, Paddington, Notting Hill, Mayfair, Fitzrovia, Regents Park and The West End (020 7262 2030; www.kayandco.com/property-search/property- for-sale- in-london).