Some of the city’s most sought-after properties are located in W2. Within these desirable districts are superb squares, magical mews houses and ravishing roads. Here is our pick of the 10 most beautiful streets to live across W2 from Hyde Park and Bayswater to Paddington and Westbourne Green.
1 Hyde Park Gardens, London W2
This row of grand terraces not only has an outlook to Hyde Park, it opens directly onto a strip of calm and tranquil communal gardens. Many of the white stucco houses have been turned into grand apartments favoured by celebrities and even foreign royalty.
* Kay & Co has a £6.5m penthouse for sale here www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/penthouse-for-sale-in-hyde-park-gardens-hyde-park-london-w2/1756
2 Albion Mews, London W2
Formerly the coach houses for the gracious residences in Albion Street, this delightful cobbled area is a quiet backwater close to the swish shops of Connaught Village. It is approached through an entrance set into the terrace of townhouses, so it is hidden from view and is very private. Now the pretty cottages, with their colourful window boxes, are highly sought-after.
* Kay & Co has a charming mews property for sale here for £1.8m www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/house-for-sale-in-albion-mews-hyde-park-london-w2/1558
3 Hyde Park Square, London W2
London’s garden squares are always popular with buyers and this one is no exception. The communal gardens are well kept with lawns and mature trees. Yet, this leafy oasis is just minutes from Lancaster Gate tube and Paddington station, with the luxury retailers of Connaught Village right on the doorstep.
* Kay & Co has a two-bedroom apartment to rent on the square for £775 a week. www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-hyde-park-square-hyde-park-london-w2/698
4 Cleveland Square, London W2
With 1.5 acres of lawns, trees and footpaths, this garden square is one of the largest in the Hyde Park area. The white stucco townhouses that surround the leafy, private plot are majestic, with enormous windows and porticoed entrances.
* Kay & Co has a three-bedroom maisonette for sale in one of these grand houses. It’s on the market for £1.5m. www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/maisonette-for-sale-in-cleveland-square-bayswater-london-w2/1566
5 Bathurst Mews, London W2
Uniquely in London, this beautiful cobbled mews retains the purpose for which it was built. There is still a stables based here. The clip-clopping of horses’ hooves as they pass on the way to nearby Hyde Park adds a rural charm to the street.
* Kay & Co has a three-bedroom apartment for sale for £1.8m in nearby Clifton Place. www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/apartment-for-sale-in-clifton-place-london-w2/9634
6 Craven Hill Gardens, London W2
This garden square is surrounded mainly by Victorian houses, but it also boasts the modernist apartment block known as Corringham. This was designed by Kenneth Frampton in the early Sixties. Its internal design allows all the flats to have west-facing living rooms for sunset views and bedrooms on the quiet garden side. The glamorous Hempel Hotel has been turned into luxury flats and its annexe into an impressive mansion that recently sold for £13.5m.
* Kay & Co has a one-bedroom apartment to rent in nearby Lancaster gate for £950 a week. www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-lancaster-gate-bayswater-london-w2/9443
7 Kensington Garden Square, London W2
Surrounded by elegantly proportioned white stucco mansions, this square oozes refinement. The luckiest residents are those in Garden House, who have direct access to the gardens without having to cross the quiet road.
* Kay & Co is marketing one, two and three-bed apartments in Garden House, which start from £650,000 to £2.2m. www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/new-development-for-sale-in-kensington-gardens-square-bayswater-london-w2/9098
8 Gloucester Square, London W2
Here we have an award winning community garden, hidden away in its tree-lined residential square. It comprises a woodland area, a recreational space and flowerbeds themed as “English cottage garden meets French potager”, where vegetables and herbs mingle with the flowers.
* Kay & Co has a duplex apartment overlooking the gardens. It is arranged over the third and fourth floors of a magnificent stucco building and the asking price is £1.95m www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/duplex-for-sale-in-gloucester-square-hyde-park-london-w2/9280
9. Connaught Square, London W2
Just north of Hyde Park, this Georgian square has a friendly atmosphere. The residents hold a summer party in the communal gardens every year. Here, you can mingle with the neighbours, who include Tony Blair and TV presenter Claudia Winkleman. There is a certain air of Downing Street in the brick architecture that perhaps attracted the former prime minister.
* Kay & Co has a magnificent eight-bedroom townhouse for sale for £7.5m. www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/house-for-sale-in-connaught-square-hyde-park-london-w2/1776
10 Clarendon Close, London W2
This sweet little area is just a stone’s throw from Hyde Park. A narrow lane opens out into a cobbled courtyard surrounded by attractive period properties. Houses here rarely come onto the market. Not surprising as the location is both convenient and concealed.
* Just around the corner in Clarendon Place, Kay & Co has a two-bedroom flat to rent for £1,195 a week. It has views over Hyde Park. www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-falmouth-house-clarendon-place-london-w2/509