Do you want to live near a deli-with-a-difference? Do you enjoy healthy salads, freshly squeezed juices and sweet treats? We have rounded-up the best delis across Marylebone, Bayswater and Fitzrovia. Here you will find everything from tasty take-aways that are bursting with flavour, to perfect places to meet, eat, drink and relax.
Athenian Grocery, 16a Moscow Road, London W2
Said to be oldest Greek deli in the UK, Athenian Grocery has been supplying fine foods from Greece, Cyprus and beyond ever since 1952. The shop is located near Queensway, on the corner of Moscow Road and Salem Road, and is within easy walking distance of Bayswater underground station. Dealing in day-to-day delicacies such as olives, antipasti, honey, feta, halloumi and vine leaves, Athenian Grocery also sources hard-to-find items such as mastic chewing gum and pomegranate molasses. Leading Greek brands, including Minerva olive oil, ION chocolates, Misko pasta and Zanae ready meals are also generally available in store.
• To rent, for £400 per week, this well-presented one-bedroom apartment is in a quiet location, a short walk away http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-queensborough-terrace-bayswater-london-w2/1094
Villandry, 170 Great Portland Street, London W1
This casual café can be found on the fringes of Fitzrovia, together with its namesake, a more sophisticated Mediterranean restaurant. Inspired by the cuisine and culture of southern France, the food is full of flavour and prepared from the finest, freshest ingredients. Light and contemporary, the Villandry emporium offers a variety of relaxed dining areas, including its aforementioned elegant restaurant, this French-style café, along with a luxurious wine and cocktail bar, too. The deli counters allow for quick and tasty take-away options, including hot meals, healthy salads, authentic pizzas, freshly squeezed juices, delicious cakes and tempting tarts.
• For sale, at £6,995,000 leasehold, this luxury three-bedroom penthouse apartment is just a stroll away and has more than 1,600 sq.ft of terraces http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/penthouse-for-sale-in-bolsover-street-fitzrovia-london-w1w/1587
La Fromagerie, 2-6 Moxon Street, London W1
As its name might suggest, La Fromagerie is known for its cheeses. The deli’s temperature-controlled cheese room displays a unique selection, sourced directly from artisan producers and matured by La Fromagerie’s own in-house affineurs. In addition, the shop has a section dedicated to ‘well-sourced’ produce, including seasonal fruit and vegetables, homemade jams, freshly baked breads, biscuits and cakes, olive oils and vinegars. This charming Marylebone store and café also offers a range of quality wines, plus charcuterie from Italy, Spain and France, including Bayonne ham from Biarritz and saucisson sec from the Pays Basque.
• To rent, for £1,295 per week, this nearby two-bedroom apartment has a private roof terrace and is perfectly positioned for impromptu cheese and wine parties http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-marylebone-high-street-london-w1u/9880
Deliciously Ella, 21 Seymour Place, London W1
Launched by award-winning foodie, Ella Mills, Deliciously Ella at Seymour Place offers a plant-based menu for lunch and dinner. Dishes available on a seasonal basis include Chilli with Rustic Cornbread, Roasted Onion and Lentil Balls, Tahini Cauliflower and Spring Quinoa, and Seasonal Falafel with Creamy Hummus. This Marylebone deli also serves a selection of breakfast options, such as porridge with homemade compote, coconut yoghurt and coconut chips, as well as corn fritters with smoky baked beans, avocado and sun-dried tomato smash. To drink, there are smoothies and cold-pressed juices, while sweet treats include peanut butter cookies and fudge brownies.
• For sale, at £4,750,000 leasehold, this brand new three-bedroom penthouse apartment is just a stroll away and available for immediate occupation http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/penthouse-for-sale-in-seymour-place-marylebone-london-w1h/9770
Abasto, 56-57 Connaught Street, London W2
Occupying a prominent position in Connaught village, this imposing coffee shop and food store displays a definite South American swagger. A deli-with-a-difference, Abasto offers the best in Argentine steaks (Ribeye, Sirloin, Fillet and Flap Meat), as well as homemade chimichurri and a staggering choice of empanadas. There are 18 different fillings available, including vegetarian, gluten free and vegan options, albeit customers are asked to order at least one hour before collection. Abasto’s wine room exhibits a full and fine selection of Argentine Malbecs (Rutini, Catena, Zuccardi and Luigi Bosca), plus an appealing range of new wines from Uruguay and Brazil.
• For sale, at £4,999,995 leasehold, this imposing Grade-II Listed, five-bedroom Georgian townhouse is on the same street http://www.kayandco.com/property-for-sale/house-for-sale-in-connaught-street-hyde-park-london-w2/1784
Comptoir Libanais, 65 Wigmore Street, London W1
The food here is fresh, healthy, good value and available from dawn to dusk. To start the day there’s porridge, along with several more exotic-sounding breakfast options. These include organic yoghurt topped with pomegranate and orange blossom water, as well as smoked salmon with scrambled eggs on brioche. Later on, all kinds of colourful dishes become available, including hot and cold mezzes, wraps, salads, tagines, grills and mana’esh. Sweet treats don’t come much better than baklava, and these are offered in a range of flavours including date-filled semolina and walnut-filled flaky pastry. Everything can be ordered ‘to go’.
• To rent, for £475 per week, this bright one-bedroom flat is on the third floor of a purpose built block on the same Marylebone street http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-wigmore-street-marylebone-london-w1u/8021
Detox Kitchen, Fitzroy Place, 10 Mortimer Street, London W1
Detox Kitchen offers nutritionally designed meals that taste great and make you feel healthy. Based in Fitzrovia, this progressive deli serves delicious dishes that are bursting with flavour and goodness. Choose from seasonal bowls of fresh salads and hot dishes, a selection of sweet treats, as well as natural juices and smoothies. The deli claims that by removing foods that make you feel tired and bloated – and replacing them with a healthy, balanced diet, rich in plant-based foods and lean protein – you will start to feel more energised, less stressed and lighter. Well, it must be worth a try!
• To rent, for £460 per week, this charming one-bedroom flat in the heart of Fitzrovia is just a short walk away http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-cleveland-street-fitzrovia-london-w1t/9062
Paul Rothe & Son, 35 Marylebone Lane, London W1
Reassuringly old fashioned, this is a Marylebone institution. Paul Rothe & Son Delicatessen was established in 1900 and is now in its fourth generation. Paul Rothe’s grandson, also Paul, and great grandson Stephen currently serve behind the counter. Like most London delis, this is a combination food store and café. Unlike most London delis, Paul Rothe still specialises in made-to-order sandwiches. There is hot food, too, which usually includes two soups (one meat, one veggie), jacket potatoes, samosas, and sausage ’n’ bacon sandwiches. The shop also stocks a selection of jams, marmalades and pickles, and looks picture perfect at Christmas.
• To rent, for £775 per week, this bright and contemporary two-bedroom flat is just moments away http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-marylebone-lane-marylebone-london-w1u/979
The Bathurst Deli, 3 Bathurst Street, London W2
The Bathurst Deli has a lot going for it. You can reserve a table, park your bike, sit outside … and enjoy a great espresso. A proper neighbourhood deli, it serves a superb selection of pastries, cheeses, antipasti and charcuterie. It also sells wine, which can be especially handy when you’re on your way home to your Paddington pad. With something of a French feel to it, The Bathurst Deli nonetheless serves a full English breakfast each morning and will help you prepare your perfect picnic for a lazy day in Hyde Park.
• To rent, for £1,250 per week, this beautiful three-bedroom, first floor apartment is just a short walk away http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-westbourne-terrace-london-w2/9542
Daylesford, 6-8 Blandford Street, London W1
Enjoy a slice of the Cotswolds at this chic, all-day deli in downtown Marylebone. Dressed with yoghurt-coloured, natural-wood furniture, this super-stylish space offers everything you would ever want from a weekly organic shop. As well as artisan breads and cheeses, there is a wide selection of fruit and veg grown in Daylesford’s own Gloucestershire garden, along with grass-pastured meat plucked from its sustainable farms. The attached organic café is open all day and provides a perfect place to meet, eat, drink and relax. When you’re next here, remember to ask about Daylesford’s free, same-day delivery service for local customers.
• To rent, for £500 per week, this bright and contemporary one-bedroom flat is just along the street and ideally located for farmhouse-style breakfasts http://www.kayandco.com/property-to-rent/apartment-to-rent-in-blandford-street-marylebone-london-w1u/1059
* Contact Kay & Co estate agents for details of properties for sale or to rent in Marylebone, Bayswater, Paddington, Notting Hill, Mayfair, Fitzrovia, Regents Park and The West End (020 7262 2030 Kay & Co)